Dog Safe Grass Seeds – Your Guide to Green Grass and Safe Dogs
It will help if you are looking for pet-friendly grass seeds, whether you’re moving into a new house or looking to improve your existing garden. Many people don’t realize the dangers of grass seeds for their pets. Here are some tips to help you find the best dog-safe grass seeds. We recommend that you also read our recommendations on dog-safe grass fertilizers if you are looking to improve your lawn.
Why Are Grass Seeds Dangerous to Dogs?
Seeds can easily get into the skin of your dog because they are small and often have an arrow shape. If a seed is carried in the body of an animal, it can cause a painful boil.
Small seeds can get stuck in the ears of a puppy or under an eyelid. Seeds can get stuck in the throat or lungs of dogs if they inhale or swallow them.
Grass seeds that have been treated with chemicals to aid in growth pose additional dangers. If a dog ingests one of these seeds, or if the seed gets into their skin, they could be exposed.
How to Keep Your Pet Safe from Grass Seeds
It will help if you keep your dog out of the area where you plan to plant seeds. It would help if you planted seeds as deep into the ground as possible. Avoid adding chemicals to seeds.
Brushing your dog’s fur is a good idea to remove grass seeds trapped in the fur. Pay attention to your dog’s paws, as this is the most commonplace for seeds to get stuck and cause boils.
Best Dog Safe Grass Seeds: Reviews
We’ve selected the top products on the market today and listed them below.
Pennington Smart Seed Sun & Shade Mix N 7 lb.
- It requires up to 30% less water than regular grass seed
- Grass establishes quickly
- It contains grass seed varieties that can thrive in both the sun and the shade.
- This lawn produces a dense, fine-bladed, dark blue-green lawn
- Excellent drought tolerance
These grass seeds are pet-friendly and should be buried in the ground 1/8″. It would help if you kept your dog clear of the area where the seeds were planted.
These seeds can be grown in both sunny and shade areas. The lawn will be thick and of a blue-green colour.
This grass can withstand drought and is adaptable to all climates. This grass does not need to be watered often and doesn’t require much maintenance.
This three lb. bag will cover approximately 1,000 square feet. You will be amazed at how resistant your new lawn is to insects and diseases.
- Option for pets-friendly.
- The grass is dense and has a lovely color.
- It does not require regular watering.
- Resistant against diseases and insects
- In the beginning, you will need to water your lawn often.
- It seems not to grow as quickly as other options.
Jonathan Green 41000 Heavy Traffic Grass Seed, 7 lb
- 7 lb. heavy traffic grass seed mixture
- For areas that are difficult to reach, this mixture of grasses is hardy and durable.
- Made in China
- Sunlight exposure: Partial Shade
This mixture of grass seeds includes perennial ryegrass and tall fescues. This combination will protect your lawn from abrasion due to heavy traffic.
These seeds can be used to grow vegetables and are suitable for pets. This 7 lb. bag will cover approximately 2,800 square feet. Bag.
The seed mixture will quickly grow your lawn and doesn’t need much maintenance. The seed mixture is completely natural and resistant to bugs and diseases.
These seeds are great for sunny areas, but they can also be used in shaded areas.
- Your dog will not be allowed to eat grass seeds.
- Low maintenance grass that is resistant to all kinds of pests.
- Affordable price.
- It thrives in the sun.
- Some customers complained that the grass is too dense.
- Because grass grows quickly, regular mowing is necessary.
Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue 50 lbs
If you’re looking for low-maintenance options, these grass seeds are a great choice. These grass seeds don’t require much water and can adapt to many climates.
Your lawn will look beautiful all year and be resistant to disease. These seeds will need to be incorporated into the soil, and this will protect your dog against grass seeds.
This 50-lb. bag can cover 15000 square feet. This bag can cover 15,00 square feet. If you have to cover large areas, this is an economical option.
- This is a cost-effective and long-lasting solution.
- You can keep your dog safe by putting the seeds in the ground.
- Low maintenance.
- It adapts well to all climates.
- It doesn’t seem to do as well in the shade.
- A 50 lb. bag might be enough. Bag.
The Dirty Gardener Creeping Red Fescue Lawn Grass – 5 Pounds
The Dirty Gardener: No.5 Red Fescue seeds
- Ideal for areas with partial or full shade
- Great for seeding under trees
- Tolerant to drought
- The maximum height for growing is 14 inches
- Fine blades
If you are looking for low-maintenance grass, these creeping red fescue seed options might be a good choice. This grass is known for its creeping growth and will not leave you with empty patches. However, you will have to mow your lawn more often to avoid forming new areas and blocking pathways.
These seeds grow best when they are buried 1/8 to 1/4 inches deep in the ground, making them pet-friendly. These seeds can grow well in dry and sunny areas, but they will need more water in the hot regions.
This 5 lb. bag will cover approximately 1,000 square feet. This bag will cover 1,000 square feet. You should expect your lawn to grow quickly.
- Option for pets-friendly.
- A creeping growth habit can create no empty patches.
- It thrives in both shaded and dry areas.
- In sunny areas, it needs more water.
- It’s not ideal if your soil isn’t well-drained.
Pennington Smart Seed Sun and Shade Mix N 7 lb are versatile, pet-friendly grass seed. Because the seed is natural, you can protect your dog’s health by putting the seeds in the ground.
If you have pets, this grass seed is a good choice. If you have children and dogs who love to play outdoors, this lawn is more maintenance-friendly.