Experts and health experts love to talk about the importance of vitamin C. There are some things you need to know before you give your dog vitamin C by giving him a tart grapefruit.
Is Grapefruit Toxic for Dogs?
Grapefruit is toxic for dogs, cats, and horses. Grapefruit contains a compound called psoralen that can cause death in dogs if it isn’t addressed promptly.
What Grapefruit Parts Are Toxic?
Your dog should not eat the whole fruit. However, certain parts of the fruit contain more psoralen than the flesh. Because they have the highest psoralen levels, the peel, seeds, pith, and pith are the most toxic.
Grapefruit Toxicity: Signs and Symptoms
Grapefruit can cause vomiting, diarrhea and nausea in dogs. Dogs can become photosensitive (sensitive to light), irritable to smell, and unable to stand or walk. Toxicity can lead to death. If your dog is suspected of having eaten grapefruit, take them to the veterinarian immediately.
Grapefruit Toxicity Treatment
Your vet will help you narrow down the symptoms of grapefruit ingestion to a dog. Treatment will begin immediately. You will give your dog IV fluids and supportive care to help with any symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea. To ensure that they don’t become dehydrated, bloodwork will check their liver function and kidney function.
Your vet may be able to induce vomiting depending on the time since your dog ate the fruit. If it has been less than 90 minutes, the vet will induce vomiting and give activated charcoal to absorb any remaining toxins. Your dog may need IV fluids depending on how much they ate or how they are feeling. If they have a bolus, they can go home to be monitored.
Grapefruit is often thought to be safe for dogs. However, many citrus fruits can cause serious health problems for your dog. To avoid citrus ingestion, keep your yard clear of fallen fruit if you live near citrus trees.